We are getting to that time of the year when we made drop cameroon doughnuts at home. It’s a perfect snack for this festive period.
I remember we had to choose between making either doughnuts or chin chin for Christmas. In case you are wondering what chin chin is, no worries check out the recipe here. Doughnuts most of the times had a unanimous vote because of the ease in making it; no rubbing in of butter, no serious kneading involved…
Oh, I love this soft, rich not so sweet doughnut with a slightly lemony flavor mmm yum!
I thought puff puff was similar to Belgian smote bollen but after some Belgian friends tasted my doughnut, they confessed Cameroon doughnut is quite close.
Cameroon doughnuts also taste like the Nigerian buns, oh I love when my Nigerian auntie brings this goodie to church ah, who no like better thing
This recipe is super-duper simple! Let’s call it drop doughnuts demystified! Trust me on this one, it is a lazy woman’s recipe. I mean, it is a recipe you follow when you get wearing your lazy pants. Hands up if you do not have those days…I see I am not alone on this one.
Well here is the deal you will need a blenderfor this because I suppose you want it easy, isn’t it? Great! Get out your blender because it’s going to be super handy.
- -3 cups all-purpose flour
- -4 eggs
- -100grams butter
- -1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- -2 teaspoon baking powder
- -1/2 teaspoon salt
- -1/2 cup sugar
- -1 teaspoon nutmeg
- -1 sachet (8g)vanilla sugar
-1/2 cup semi-skimmed milk
-1-liter vegetable oil for deep frying.
- Put flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and vanilla sugar plus lemon zest.
- Dump butter, eggs, milk and sugar in a blender
- Blend till smooth
- Create a well in the middle of the flour
- Just pour in your blended ingredients
- Now get your cute hands dirty by giving it a great mix till all the ingredients are nicely incorporated.
- Expect a smooth not so runny batter.
- Pour oil in a pan for deep frying
- Heat it up
- Scoop out the batter and drop into the hot oil (not too hot though)
- Fry till it turns golden brown
- Remove and allow to drain on some kitchen paper.
- Lastly enjoy with your favorite warm beverage.
- You can freeze some for those evenings when you do not feel like cooking, 2 balls and a cup of hot chocolate will be great!