I am super excited about this particular delicacy, you know why? I just discovered I could eat koki corn all year round! This to me is one of the best things that has happened to me in 2016, reason why I have to share with you all.
Koki corn is a Cameroonian dish of freshly grated maize with some salt and palm oil traditionally steamed in banana leaves. The sad thing is this meal is limited to the corn season. Usually, we had to wait for July when we had the first harvest to make koki corn. Ah, I feel some nostalgia talking about koki corn, my grandma makes the best koki corn ever! Just a simple loving meal, no overdose of spices, no complications, just really down to earth simple. I could trade everything to eat grandma’s kimanamo. Onyonyo- is the nameThe Igala people of Nigeria call it. Corn Moi moi (Nri Oka) is the appellation of this dish by the Nigerian Igbo clan.
I remember when I posted egusi pudding recipe last week a friend thought it was similar to tamales, I think koki corn is a cousin to the Mexicano tamales.
Back to the interesting discovery, I can now make koki corn even in winter! Eh, I tell you how; get to the grocery shop, scan through the section with canned food, quickly reach out for three canned sweet corn, rush to the cashier and make a quick exit home. That is the most essential thing in this recipe. Now I list out the whole gist below:
- 3 cans of sweet corn (285grams each)
- 1 cup corn semolina or corn meal
- 1/4 cup palm oil
- Spinach leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- A pinch of pepper(optional)
- Open the cans and rinse corn with some cold water
- Pour in a blender, add a cup of water
- Turn the blender just one’s to have a coarse paste, that means it should not be fine
- Add in the semolina into the blender paste and mix
- Throw in salt and spinach leaves
- Pour in palm oil and give it a generous stir so that everything comes together nicely
- Scoop out spoonfuls of the mixture and place in aluminiun foil
- Wrap carefully paying attention the edges are firmly sealed
- Place the wraps in a pot
- Bring to steam for about 30 minutes
Remove and enjoy, and enjoy some more!